Forums 501st French Garrison
TK3296 of the UK Garrison coming to Paris in July - Version imprimable

+- Forums 501st French Garrison (https://www.501stfrenchgarrison.com/forum)
+-- Forum : Zone de débarquement (https://www.501stfrenchgarrison.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum : International Area (https://www.501stfrenchgarrison.com/forum/forum-15.html)
+--- Sujet : TK3296 of the UK Garrison coming to Paris in July (/thread-124.html)

TK3296 of the UK Garrison coming to Paris in July - tk3296 - 27-06-2009

Bonjour,

I'm Cliff SL/TK3296 of the UK Garrison, some of you may know me from the 501st forums as the PatchDaddy.

Anyway, my wife and I are lucky enough to be coming to Paris next month on the 13th July in time we hope for Bastille Day.

I was just wondering if anyone from the French Garrison could give us some hints and tips please on not only the best places to go/ stand to see the celebrations on Bastille Day (and what is happening), but also any hints on tips on places we should go/ avoid during our time in France.

I'm a very keen photographer and my wife LOVES history. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Notre Dame as I just LOVE churches, cathedrals and architecture.

We'd REALLY appreciate any help and advice you can give us.

Many thanks for your time and au revoir for now :wink:

Kind regards,
Cliff "PatchDaddy" Hobbs
SL/TK-3296
501st Patch Traders Moderator
501st Legion/ UK Garrison

- kilroyFR - 27-06-2009

Hello Cliff, i am not living in Paris (south france), but for people that love 'old-stones' (like me), i would recommend also visiting SACRED-HEART BASILICA of Montmartre at the end of afternoon ; pleasant place to visit with montmartre 'PLACE du TERTRE' (where you can find some good paintings).
Last time i went to paris i visited 'Cathacombs of Paris' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catacombs_of_Paris); it did not take too much time to visit and it was quite an unusual place to visit (yep, not a funny place but it's a part of parisian history).
Museum of INVALIDES (war museum) is a special place mainly because of the Napoleon tomb (... not known as best friend of UK), but whatever nice museum (where you can find some famous WW2 guns, nice costumes) - probably most interesting for you than for your wife ( mine was pleased and she is not so interested in WW stuffs).
Do not forget classical visits : ARC OF TRIUMPH and TROCADERO (near eiffel tower) to get very nice view of Paris (especially at night)). Normally there are nice fireworks on bastille day from this place (probably also some concerts near by).

I have no special advices except, like every city with lot of tourists (especially on national holiday), ALWAYS be careful of your papers (especially on METRO).
I let my friends living in Paris give you more detailed advices.

Have a nice stay (how many days ? 2 ? 13th + bastille day ?)

- Paf13 - 28-06-2009

Hi Cliff !

I'm not living in Paris too but I'm agree with Kilroy. Places he mentionned are very beautifull and very interesting, especially if you and your wife are fans of history and photography.

Cathacombs have very special ambiance but it's a place few people know or think when they come to Paris.
You also have a pretty district all around Sacred-Heart Basilica that you can see in most "Parisian" films. The Tilery Garden near the Obelisk can offer you a pleasant moment to rest and if you want, it can give you a way to the Louvre Museum.

If you have enough time, you can go to the Versailles Castle (as a fan of history, your wife will be at Heaven Tongue ) but it's out of the capital.

Bastille Day is a very particular moment in Paris because you'll have very few access between the Obelisk and the Arc of Triumph (all CHamps Elysee) but it's a good way to see the military parade with all french military corps. The parade begins around 10:00 AM if I remember.

Keep in mind, as Kilroy said : be very careful of your papers ! And don't forget that main streets and districts around monuments are tourist traps and you'll have to pay the high price if you want something :wink:

Have a nice journey !

- tk3296 - 28-06-2009

Many thanks for the replies guys - we're lucky enough to be coming for 14 days (it was originally 10 but when my wife discovered if we came a few days earlier we could see Bastille day we jumped at the chance and were shocked that we could extend out stay at our hotel - I would have thought getting a hotel at this time would have been impossible unless we've chosen the wrong hotel to stay in).

Just adding up the usual touristy places that's already half of our time accounted for so I think we may be coming back at some point in the future Big Grin

I'm going to be spending some time on Google before our trip but just thought if there is anyone in Paris or knows it well that could give us the "local" knowledge we'd REALLY appreciate it.

Do you guys know if it's OK if we carry photocopies of our passports with us or do we need to carry the originals?

By the way if ever any of the French Garrison are coming to England let me know and I'll see if I can help you out with the "local" knowledge :wink:

- kilroyFR - 28-06-2009

tk3296 a écrit :Do you guys know if it's OK if we carry photocopies of our passports with us or do we need to carry the originals?
There is some policeman out there in the garrison (our CO and others) that should give you the appropriate answer to this.
With such a long journey, VERSAILLES is definitively another place to visit (fountain night show on saturdays only see here - http://www.evene.fr/culture/agenda/grandes-eaux-nocturnes-a-versailles-10538.php).
For transportation, as in every city, METRO is definitively more convenient/esier than BUS. There is week formulas with unlimited rides on METRO that are cheaper than single ticket formulas (CHATEAU DE VERSAILLES is zone 6).

- darkyoda - 28-06-2009

Hi Cliff !!!

I'm living in the north of France, and I was born in Peronne in the Somme County...

I don't know if you will come by train or by car...

But if you come by car, you will cross my county on your way to Paris...

My County -Picardie- is called "The Cathedral county" The biggest is in Amiens, the highest is in Beauvais, the oldest is in Noyon and three others are in Laon, Soissons and Senlis... They are all stone jewels in our landscapes !!!

And if you are interested in History, you can discover all the battlefield sights of "the Battle of the Somme" in 1916, where thousands of british soldiers fell during the First World War... They are all very impressive...
You can visit them between Peronne (my birthday town) and Albert... In Peronne you can visit the biggest museum about WW1 in Europe...

If you want more details... PM me... Don't hesitate !!!

I hope you will have a very good stay in our country !!!

See You... And may the Force be with You... Always...

- Lord Relt'una - 30-06-2009

Regarding Bastille Day , the highlight of the day (well, of the night..) will be the fireworks , which will be shot from the bridge of Iena . The best spot to enjoy this fireworks will be from the Champ de Mars , at the feet of Eiffel tower and Trocadero. Definitly the place to be on that evening
But carefull it will be even more crowdy this year !! there will be a free concert (starting at 7:00pm) just before the Fireworks.
The fireworks is schedule to start around 10:45 pm and end at 11:20pm, but it might be delayed due to the concert , especially knowing the biggest french superstar singer will be there ( and it's his farewell tour this year)
The nearest metro stations will be closed at 4:00pm .
Chances are I'll be there too Wink

Enjoy your stay !

- tk3296 - 12-07-2009

Well guys many thanks for all of the hints and tips we REALLY appreciate it. I've been doing some reading up and my brain huts a LOT :lol:

I'm realising that it will be impossible for us to see everything we want to even with 2 weeks so we will do what we can and come back at some point in the future (I have no idea when) to finish up what we missed.

darkyoda - I will be in touch at some point in the future. With my love of Cathedrals we just HAVE to come the "Cathedral county" (it's a shame we are coming by the Eurostar this time).

Doesn't seem possible that this time tomorrow we will be in Paris (all things being well).

Au revoir and we're both like excited children on Xmas Eve waiting for Santa to come :wink: .

- Impi - 13-07-2009

Hi

I hope it's not to late to answer : you have to take your original passeport !

Have a nice stay in Paris !